Let us start at the very beginning and with the personalities of the time telling the story of the beginnings of our Club
: ‘Our birth occurred on December 18th 1929, when three total strangers met to discuss over a meal the possibilities of starting a Club
in order to bring together the particular enthusiasts who own Bugatti cars.’
The above was written by the Editor, D.B. Madeley, then living at Kingston-on-Thames, Surrey, in the very first issue of Bugantics in June 1931.
The vignette, above the Editorial, showing three glasses partly filled (or rather partly emptied!) on a circular table with two lit pipes and a cigarette in a holder emitting smoke with each one forming one of the words ‘Bugatti Owners Club’, gives a good clue to the background within which our Club was formed. In the first issue this was copied from the original hand drawing and from issue two onwards is engraved.
The Editorial went on to report: ‘The membership of the Club is now over 60 and includes many names famous in the racing world.’
Eric Giles, brother of Colonel G.M. Giles, M.C. (Council Chairman), in his capacity as Hon. Secretary in his report dated 14th March 1932 wrote in Bugantics, April 1932 (Vol. 1 No. 5):
‘As you probably know, the Club was officially founded on March 4th, 1930 and by the end of March 1931, we had 49 members. Since then 47 new members have joined, giving us a total of 96 up to the present date.’
This is repeated in Bugantics, May 19th 1946 (Vol. 9 No.3) when the Hon. Secretary Eric Giles states: ‘The Bugatti Owners’ Club was founded in March, 1930, by a small band of enthusiasts whose endeavours were to get together the small and somewhat exclusive circle of super-keen motorists who owned these cars. MORE